Sunday, November 21, 2010

Londolozi, South Africa


My journey continued with a charter flight out to "the bush", where it is not advisable to reach out and pet the kitties. Federal Air provides flights from its own private terminal at the Johannesburg airport. It's a pleasure to check in with their friendly staff, and wait in the comfortable lounge or the outdoor garden patio before flight time. They have a nice selection of complimentary snacks and a lovely gift shop to help pass the time.

I landed at the Londolozi airstrip in less than an hour, where I was met by my Ranger and taken on a short drive to my home for the next two nights. Londolozi is a private game lodge situated in the Sabi Sand Game Reserve, adjacent to Kruger National Park. Londolozi welcomes couples and families and is run efficiently and enthusiastically by the Varty family, who have owned the property since 1926.
There are five different camps to choose from, each with varying degrees of luxury and intimacy, depending on the individual needs and desires of the guest.

I stayed in Varty camp where my suite had an elegant, rustic feel to it. I loved the dark wood wrap-around deck with private plunge pool. I also liked how the entire length of the suite was fitted with glass or door walls. Even the huge indoor shower had a wall of glass, looking out onto the wilderness. It brings the outdoors indoors - but you are cautioned to keep your doors latched or a curious baboon might find his way in!

No comments:

Post a Comment