Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Singita Sabi Sand

My African adventure continues! I left the eco-lodges behind to head for the bush in South Africa, specifically, to the ultimate in safari lodges, Singita. The Singita name is synonymous with unsurpassed luxury. Wine cellars, gourmet five-course tasting menus, fitness center and spa, expansive suites with private plunge pools. If you can tear yourself away from your suite, they offer fabulous game drives each day.

If you prefer a little pampering while on safari, Singita is the perfect choice. I flew to the Sabi Sand game reserve on a Federal Air charter direct to the Singita airstrip. I left Johannesburg, and in less than an hour, I was greeted by the charming Marc, my guide for the next two days. Upon arrival at Singita Ebony, I was welcomed with a cold towel and drink, and taken to my suite. The decor is Colonial in style with dark woods and rich-colored fabrics. I had a cozy sitting area with fireplace, gorgeous four poster bed, indoor/outdoor showers, deep-soaking tub, dressing area and a huge deck with my own private pool. The room had a wall of windows facing the grasslands, through which I could watch the passing wildlife.

No time to relax before the afternoon game drive! A lovely tea is set out prior to the drive, this one included mini hamburgers and bite-size stuffed potatoes. Off to the bush with Marc expertly driving, and Mishack, tracking from his perch on the front of the safari vehicle. I had a fantastic game-viewing experience while at Singita. I saw the Big 5: Leopard, Lion, Buffalo, Elephant and Rhino, in addition to giraffe, warthogs, zebra, impala and more. I learn something new every time. On this particular game drive, I learned that a group of rhino is called a "crash" of rhino. Do you know what a group of giraffe is called? (see answer below)

Sundowners are a tradition while on safari in Africa. You take a break from your drive, usually as the sun is going down, and enjoy a cool drink. Again, Singita proves to take these moments very seriously. No beer and pretzels here, I was served a selection of pates and dips to go along with my favorite safari drink, the classic Gin and Tonic.

More surprises awaited, as we drove up to a candlelit dinner set up under the stars for all of the guests at the lodge. A decadent five-course meal with wine pairings was the perfect finish to this perfect day!

Our clients receive VIP amenities of a Spa or Gift shop voucher and an exclusive gift only when booking with us. If you would like to know more about Singita or African Safaris, call me today!
Bee Kalt Travel 248-288-9600
http://www.beekalt.com/

(answer: a journey of giraffe!)

No comments:

Post a Comment